Monday, April 4, 2016

Bangkok bound train and MRT, Day 1

Unlike all other traveling that I have done before, my trip to Bangkok was the most unplanned one. I did not do much reading to find out where I shall go, what I must see, what not to miss out and how I should go about. I was ready to just go with the flow...as my idol traveler friend used to say to me. So, I did go with the flow. The fact that I had someone hosting me during my 3 days in Bangkok made me so comfortable with this idea of going with the flow.

I arrived at Don Muang airport in the afternoon. I didn't research enough on how to go to Bang Sue MRT station by bus, and I had to dump the idea of getting a taxi there when the lady at the airport taxi counter proudly told me the taxi would cost me 700 Baht. What??? So my best option was to get on the train.
After 10 minutes went around try to find my way, I spotted the staircase to the overhead bridge that will lead me to the train station. It's located on the left side of waiting hall, not far from the escalator going down that everyone has to take after the immigration check. It is much easier to look for the signage for Amari Don Muang Hotel as you can see below.

Bangkok...the city with so many Wat (temples)


The staircase and the bridge lead to the hotel, Bus stop and also railway station

Just before the hotel entrance one need to go out through the door on the right side.
Just follow the signage.


Once on the bridge, took the first right turn to Bangkok Bound station

The next train arrival is displayed on the digital signage, but be prepared to wait
 for more than an hour as the train always have long delay

5 Baht vs. 700 Baht for airport taxi...I don't mind the heat and the long wait.
 I wasn't rushing!

Classic...the station has no air conditioner,
so just bear the heat. It was 36 degree when I was there.


No aircond on the train too :)

Video of the train ride
 
After 45 minutes, I reached Bang Sue station where I switched to MRT line to Ratchadapishek
I would only suggest train option for those traveling light...more appropriately backpackers, solo  travelers and those who are not rushing or do not need to be at destination at any specific time. The station and train cars has no aircond, so if one has the need to travel comfortably then this might not be the right choice. I would say this is for the rough & tough who don't bother so much but willing to endure everything the real traveling experience has to offer.

At Bang Sue station, I crossed the road and enter the MRT station tunnel. It felt like moving from one era to another as the MRT station is so modern and comfortable, like those station in many metropolitan cities in the world. Travel around with MRT in Bangkok is so convenient as the transit system interlink with another transportation called BTS (monorail in Malaysia) at few prime locations. It also has skywalk connecting Petchaburi station with Airport Rail Link  at Makassan station.  MRT last terminal in the city is Hua Lamphong station, where the railway train make the final stop too.

We can buy the one way token from ticket machines (accepting coins and notes), the machine has English language screen, so purchasing the token from the machine is just so easy. But if you are not sure how to do it the first time, you can purchase it at the ticket counters.

My next destination was Ratchadaphisek, 5th stop from Bang Sue station and cost me 28 Baht.  Ratchadaphisek is the area where my host apartment is located, just short walk from the station. I arrived Ratcha (as I like to call it) just on time to meet Kes, my lovely host for the 3 days I was in this White Elephant country.

This was my meeting point with  my host, Kes.

This station is the 5th stop from Bang Sue
 
To be continued....watch out for my day 2 journey

No comments:

Post a Comment